Time for another collaboration piece. This time i collaborated with the super duper talented Chris Battle. I'm a huge fan of his style so when he visited the school where I hang out (these days anyway) I just had to ask if he'd be interested in collaborating. He was more than happy and even had a piece he'd wanted made 3D for a long time.
Chris even supplied me w a plan. I call it: My Battle Plan ^_^ (yes, shoot me now pls)
(Ain't he cute?)
10 Hours (Finished):
Nice little armature.
This is the first time I will try to bake super sculpy twice. I do this because all the surfaces need to be sanded really smooth and it would be very difficult to make the face smooth if I were to sculpt everything in one go. I made grooves in the back of the head so the second layer of sculpy would hopefully stick.
Baked and sanded to perfection
I cut out the groove for the belt to make sculpting the belt easier.
Sculpted belt and pouches.
I managed to add another layer of sculpy without any trouble :) I will use that method in the future, as it will make it much easier and quicker to do a sculpture in stages rather than in just one go. You don't have to be as careful ruining what you have already sculpted and hard surfaces can be introduced earlier in the process. This is very useful if it is a piece with many big hard edges in the basic shape.
After 32 hours I had a finished sculpture I was really happy with. I
think it has been one of the best 2D to 3D translations I've had the
pleasure of working on so far. there were some issues involved
concerning the shape of the head and how to do the hair, but it was very
worthwhile to spend some time thinking about that. Ive learned to
loosen up a bit and not focus so much on making the 2D designs
symmetric, but instead focus on making pleasing shapes.
This design seemed pretty straightforward to begin with, but there were some issues w the thickness of the neck vs the thickness of the wire skeleton. Instead of making the armature of one long piece of wire bended in the head, I decided to attach one of the legs afterwards. That way I would be able to make the neck as dictated by the design.
I attached one of the arms to the hips to keep it as stable as possible. This time though I decided that I would attach a lot of stuff later ie. pistol holster, ponytails, scarf and spurs. It was a bit of a gamble w the ponytail, but it was probably a lot easier to sculpt first and attach later.