lørdag den 5. marts 2011

Dragon Skulpting: First step: Part 1


My main drive is to make stuff you want to look at: Who doesn't?! I think that is easier than it sounds. We humans are born curious, so anything new automatically has a certain attraction. The difficult part is to keep the viewer interested. At the same time I want my stuff to look alive. If something looks alive it's easier to keep the observer interested: You don't think you've seen the full potential of a sculpture if it looks as though it could change position any second it pleases, leap into your lap or steal your wallet. If you haven't seen it all, then maybe you'll want to look at it again, non?


Rule nr one when trying to make a realistic sculpture is: To keep looking at at your work with symmetry in mind. When to apply it and when not to apply it.

The body is overall more or less symmetrical, but at the same time its not. Just consider the internal organs. We dont have two hearts or livers do we? Would you call your own face symmetrical? No and probably not. And if your face is symmetrical, please leave your phone nr.

What I do when sculpting is to aim for symmatry to begin with: Everthing must be proportionally correct. Then I start posing the sculpture and then I throw symmatry out out the window. When I'm done posing the sculpture, I double check the entire thing, to see if I've been symmetrical enough.

Rule nr two is: Be as asymmetrical as possible when posing a sculpture. Nobody, and I do mean nobody does a symmetric pose in nature. there is always weight and counter weight. My mistake was to assume a decending dragon would have its hind legs curled up under its body eg. the symmetrical approach. This may be a realistic approach to how a flying dragon would look, but it's also rather boring to look at. Rest assured I got a few deserving comments about that.

I let the legs flail about. It look rather cool and at the same time it adds to the chaos and turmoil of the piece, gives the body weight and overall credibility. Believe me, a dragon can use all the credibillity it can get.


To be honest I didn't have an exact idea about how the body would be twisting around itself until I got to actually sculpting it. For this project I'd be using super sculpy. I does not cure/harden until you have baked it in an owen. Perfect for time consuming projects. Just remember to keep you hands clean or the sculpture will soon start to look dirty. I made a snake of the dragon as seen on the pictures above and then I flattenet it into a flesh like sepentine. One edge of the serpentine would mark the spine, the other the middle line in the stomach.

Then I went to work on the arms and legs, got the muscles placed. Made a small self study of the back and shoulder muscles. One quick note: Don't get carried away with small details! DON'T.
I did. Got so excited I accidentally sculpted a foot. Then I slapped myself and continued my work on the main body. Stick with the big picture till it's done

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar